Start the day excited to make a difference...end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.
The Level I Novice Registered Nurse is an entry-level nurse who has graduated from an accredited nursing program and does not have clinical experience as a Registered Nurse. The Level I MWHC nurse is responsible for mastering the knowledge and skills necessary for competent Level II nursing practice within one year of beginning employment at Mary Washington Healthcare.
Interested in beginning your nursing practice in our Medical Care Center at Mary Washington Hospital? Apply here!!
Medical Care (4 South) is a 32-bed medical unit. We provide care for a variety of medical needs including but not limited to substance abuse, pneumonia, sepsis, small bowel obstructions, anemia and infections. We have a great supportive team that works well together. We work closely with the attending physicians to provide a care plan that is individualized to each patient need. The collaborative efforts of the physicians, therapist, case managers, clinical care coordinators, nurses and CNA's play a role in communicating to ensure the needs of the patients are being met.
Oncology/Palliative (4 North) is a 32-bed oncology/palliative unit. Although most of our patients have a cancer diagnosis, they are typically admitted for medical reasons (sepsis, pneumonia, anemia, etc.). We work very closely with the palliative and hospice departments to ensure that the patients and their families have everything they need when they are discharged. We believe that everyone deserves to be comfortable and with their families for as long as possible. We have a great team and believe that "no one sits unless everyone sits".
Comprehensive Medical Unit (CMU)
Comprehensive Medical (5 North) is a 32 bed Comprehensive Medical and Stroke Unit. We are excited to be Certified as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. Our Patients are primarily here for stroke, infectious disease such as Covid and other medical reasons. Our Nurses are NIH (Stroke) Certified. We believe that the Brain is the most important Organ in the Body! On our Unit, Teamwork makes the Dreamwork! We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of people suffering from diseases and to transform Human Health!
Practice Standards for a Level I Registered Nurse:
In the MWHC Practice Standards, a Level I Registered Nurse is outlined in the following areas of:
- Exemplary Professional Practice Standards
- Structural Empowerment Practice Standards
- Transformational Leadership Practice Standards
- New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvement Practice Standards
Essential Functions & Responsibilites:
- Direct and coordinate nursing care, including oversight of licensed and unlicensed personnel in any assigned or delegated tasks using the nursing process and interdisciplinary teamwork to achieve desired patient outcomes.
- Coordinate involvement of the patient, family and health team members in patient care, including patient/family teaching and discharge planning.
- Communicate and coordinate the plan of care and other pertinent information to/from other health care team members.
- Assist Leadership to define standards of excellence for patient care; participate in improvement of patient care services.
- Participate in, contribute to and integrate performance improvement into care delivery and participate in quality improvement activities.
- Participate in daily operational activities necessary for safe patient/staff environment.
- Provide input to the Nurse Manager regarding unit needs.
- Participate in unit, departmental and hospital committees for formulation of nursing and hospital policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program and has no experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state.
- BSN is preferred; all Registered Nurses with an Associate's Degree in Nursing will be required to obtain their BSN within five years of hire (Effective March 2014).
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- NIHSS (Bluecloud) required within 90 days
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.