The Monterey County Health Department exists to enhance, protect, and improve the health of the people in Monterey County. The Health Department’s Clinic Services Bureau is seeking to fill vacant Senior Clinic Nurse positions at the health care clinics located in Salinas, Seaside and Marina. The Senior Clinic Nurse is responsible to serve as lead staff to fellow clinic nursing staff and provide professional nursing care and services to patients and their families. The Senior Clinic Nurse will provide services to family practice, women’s health, internal medicine, pediatric, behavioral health, and specialty services. This position is responsible to manage triaging of patients in person and by telephone, assist with care coordination of patients with complex medical problems, support workflows according to clinic protocols, policies and procedures, provide support to physicians and ensure clinical support in processes.
The Clinic Services Bureau operates eight clinics and two satellite clinics, including the Alisal Health Center, Seaside Family Health Center, Monterey County Health Clinic at Marina, four Laurel Clinics located in Salinas, which include Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Vista and Pediatrics, as well as the NIDO Clinic and two Bienestar behavioral health integration clinics in Salinas and Marina.
The Clinics offer care to the medically underserved population of Monterey County. The mission of the Clinic Services Bureau is to provide access to high quality medical care to all residents of Monterey County regardless of their ability to pay.
A list of eligible candidates resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time or temporary vacancies as they arise.
Examples of Duties
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Current theory principles, techniques, procedures, and triage processes used in professional nursing
• Medical terminology, medical instruments and equipment
• Routines typical to a family practice and/or public health clinic.
• The uses, effects and contraindications of medicines and narcotics
• Federal, State and local laws and regulations that govern nursing practice.
• Current treatments, drugs, and equipment associated with the clinic specialty
• Community resources available to provide patient care and follow-up
• Computer applications related to nursing
• Plan, coordinate and monitor the work of the lower-level clinical staff
• Perform the full range of registered nursing duties and responsibilities
• Plan, present and manage care plans for patients needing case management.
• Prepare and maintain records, reports and lab results tracking
• Communicate effectively with physicians, providers, patients and fellow employees.
• Keep abreast of developments in area of clinical medicine.
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
• Independent Worker
• Takes initiative
• Clear and effective communicator
• Establish and maintain a warm and caring atmosphere with patients from diverse social and cultural backgrounds
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
EXAMPLES OF EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/TRAINING:
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of education, training, and/or experience, typically:
Education: Completion of an accredited nursing program
Experience: Five years of experience as a registered nurse in a clinic setting, including experience and/or training in lead work or supervision.
• Incumbents must continue to meet the legal requirements to practice as a Registered Nurse as determined by the California Board of Registered Nursing and continue to possess the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position as indicated above and as may change within the medical industry.
• Possess a current CPR Certification and maintain certification throughout employment.
Conditions of Employment:
As a condition of employment, the incumbent will be required to:
• Be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays and during times of disaster or emergency.
• Successfully pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Appointing Authority with the ability to be bonded. The Health Department will conduct thorough background and reference checks which include a Department of Justice fingerprint check. The Applicant will be required to execute a consent and waiver for the background investigation.
• Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at:
Resumes may be submitted in addition to, but will not be accepted in lieu of, required application materials.
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant’s possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519.
• Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
• If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County offers an excellent benefits package (S Unit)
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or "S" MOU prevails over this listing.
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in an environment and cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you believe you possess a disability that would require accommodation, please call the Human Resources Analyst at 831-755-4618